Want to live in the UK along with your family? The Dependent Visa process helps UK citizens and certain visa holders call their dependents to live with them in the UK. With this visa, you can bring your spouse or partner, children, parents, and other close relatives to the UK. Vin Consultancy can help you understand the intricacies of the dependent visa and apply it with the highest chances of success.

Dependents include:

  • Spouse or legal partner
  • Child under 18
  • A child over 18 if they’re currently in the UK as a dependent

Financial proof:

The applicant must prove that he can support his dependents when they are in the UK.  He must prove that he has the required funds by showing his bank statement.


There are various methods for you to get a Dependent visa for your family. These include:

  • Applying for a dependent visa as a Tier 2 visa holder: You can bring your spouse and children under this program. You can study and work in the UK under this visa, with some restrictions. After a period of 5 years, you can apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain, which means you can apply to settle permanently in the UK
  • UK Parent, Spouse or Child Visa: British citizens and settled individuals can call their dependent spouse, parents or children who are not currently in the UK to live with them. This visa will be valid for a period of 2 years and 6 months and can be extended


The Dependent Visa category allows the dependents of a permanent resident or UK citizen to apply to join them in the UK. This visa applies to both family and children. The UK permanent resident or sponsor whose family members apply for the visa is referred to as the sponsor.


To qualify as a dependent, you must be the sponsor’s spouse, unmarried, or civil partner. Children under 18 can also apply for the visa to the UK as dependents of the sponsor.

As a spouse or partner of the sponsor, you must be able to prove any one of the following:

  • You are in a civil union or marriage approved in the United Kingdom
  • You have lived together in a relationship for a minimum of 2 years when you submit your application
  • You are a fiancé, a fiancée or intend to enter a civil partnership or marry or enter in a civil partnership in the United Kingdom within 6 months of your arrival
  •  You will also have to prove that you have good knowledge of the English language


As a Dependent Visa holder, you will have no recourse to public funds. Before your application can be approved you will need to show that your sponsor has the necessary financial means to support you and is willing to sponsor your stay.

If your Dependent Visa application is successful you will be granted permission to enter the UK and unrestricted freedom to live in the UK. There are no work restrictions, which means you can work at any job, and at any level of skill.


If you follow the immigration requirements for this visa you will be given permission to stay indefinitely in the United Kingdom. Dependency Visa holders can apply for British Naturalization as a citizen of the UK after continuously spending 5 years in the UK.


 A dependent can choose to apply for the visa either within or outside the UK.

The documentation required for the Dependent Visa depends on the route you are applying through. Typically the documents required include:

  • Passport & travel history
  • Background documentation
  • Spouse/partner documentation including marriage certificate
  • Other proof of relationship
  • Income proof of sponsor to show adequate finances
  • Completed application & consulate fees
  • English language skills (not essential for elderly parents you are caring for, based on documents you provide)
  • If calling your child, they must be under the age of 18 at the time of application

Applying from within the UK

Dependents can apply to stay with their family members if they have come to the UK on a family visa. If they have come on another visa, they can switch to a family visa to stay with their spouse, child or parent. 

The biometric residence permit or BRP will be sent by courier. You don’t have to collect it.  

Generally, you’ll get it within 7 to 10 days of getting your ‘decision letter’ from the Home Office saying you should live in the UK. You can make an online application if it fails to arrive. 

Applying from the outside the UK

Dependents can apply for a family visa to live with their spouse or partner, child, parent or relative.

To get a biometric residence permit as part of their application, they will need to get their fingerprints and picture taken at a visa processing center.  

They would need to obtain their biometric residence permit within 30 days of their arrival date in the UK.  

Depending on which country they are in, they may be able to get their visa faster or other services. 


Applying for the UK dependent visa requires a meticulous and thorough approach. Vin Consultancy can help you get the right documentation so that your initial application has the highest chance of success. Our services include:

  • Guiding you in choosing the right immigration strategy
  • Completing the visa documents checklist
  • Assistance during application processing
  • Forms, documentation & application filing
  • Updates & follow up
  • Relocation and post-landing support in the UK

When you sign up with Vin Consultancy, a dedicated immigration consultant will be appointed to help you with your process. Reach out to us today before visa and immigration rules become stricter.

Got A Question ?

Contact Us Quickly & We'll Get Back To Yo As Soon As Possible


[ultimate-faqs include_category='dependant-uk']


Note: Carousel will only load on frontend.